Planning and Development Services
Director: Dale Pernula
Concrete Nor'west Gravel Operation Near Grip RoadSpecial Use Permit Application PL16-0097
Concrete Nor'west has proposed a gravel mine operation near Grip Road. The gravel mining operations will remove approximately 4,280,000 cubic yards of gravel from three parcels, approximately 1.5 miles north of Grip Road, over an approximately 25 year period. Gravel will be removed from the site by truck and trailer, generating an average of 46 loads per day, and be transported to market or one of Concrete Nor'west's nearby facilities for processing. The site is accessed from Grip Road on an existing private gravel road. The subject site is located within the Rural Resource-Natural Resource Land zoning/comprehensive plan designated area and within the mineral resource overlay.
This application has a public comment period and will receive a public hearing before the Hearing Examiner before a decision on the application is made. A previous public hearing scheduled for December 7 was continued due to incorrect public notice. An additional public notice with a comment period was issued on December 15, 2016. Comment letters received during the comment period indicated strong public concern about traffic safety and other issues. The Department is in the process of evaluating the comment letters and application material to determine the scope of any additional studies or analysis that may be required.
The next public hearing will be delayed until these additional studies and analysis are completed.
Submit comments via our webform at www.skagitcounty.net/pdscomments.
- Notice of Development Application (published December 15, 2016)
- Planning & Development Services Staff Report (September 12, 2016)
- Letter from WA State Department of Ecology (June 1, 2016)
- SEPA Mitigated Determination of Non-Significance (May 26, 2016)
- Special Use Permit Application PL16-0097 (March 7, 2016)
- SEPA Checklist (March 2, 2016)
- Preliminary Traffic Information Plan (February 8, 2016)
- Graham-Bunting Associated Fish and Wildlife Site Assessment (August 20, 2015)
For more information, contact:
John Cooper, Senior Planner