Public Defender's Office

Global Menu

Public Defender's Office

Director: Jeri L. Chavez

Public Defender
Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ #1: Where are you located?

We are located at the corner of Thrid Street and Broadway in Mount Vernon. Click here to view a map of our location.

FAQ #2: How do I qualify for a public defender?

In order to qualify for a public defender, you must be referred by the court and have a financial screening completed by the Office of Assigned Counsel located in the Skagit County Court House, 205 W. Kincaid, Room 305, Mt. Vernon, WA 98273, (360)416-1690.

FAQ#3: Does the public defender handle any civil cases?

The Skagit County Public Defender handles mental health and other civil commitment proceedings. The Public Defender does not handle civil matters such as divorce proceedings, child custody matters relating to divorce proceedings or landlord-tenant disputes.