Surface Water Management

Global Menu

Surface Water Management

Public Works

Stormwater Management Program
Protecting our waters from pollution
Report a spill

Spills happen. Accident or intentional, we want to make sure it gets cleaned up before it can make its way to our waterways. Let us know when you see something that concerns you!
Ways to report a spill in unincorporated Skagit County:

  • Fill out our online spill report form
  • Contact us during regular business hours :
    Jason Quigley, Stormwater Coordinator | 360 416-1463
    Chakong Thao, Stormwater Natural Resources Technician | 360-416-1459
  • After regular business hours, call one of the numbers below:
    • Washington Department of Ecology NW Regional Office: 1-425-649-7000
    • National Response Center: 1-800-424-8802
    • Washington Emergency Management Division, 1-800-OILS-911 or 1-800-258-5900
  • For emergency situations that include hazardous waste spills, spills of raw sewage, gasoline, or other hazardous materials, dial 911.

If the spill has occurred within city limits, please call the appropriate city:

City of Anacortes (360) 293-1920
City of Burlington (360) 755-9715
City of Mount Vernon (360) 336-6204
City of Sedro-Woolley (360) 855-0771

How big of a spill is big enough to report? And what kind?

To be safe, it does not hurt to report a spill anytime a pollutant could potentially make its way to a storm drain, ditch, or any type of surface water including streams, rivers, lakes and bays.

If it is an unknown substance, potentially hazardous or known to be hazardous, we definitely want to know about so we can try to reduce the harm it may cause.

Chemical pollutants such as fertilizers, pesticides, detergents and oil are a primary concern, but a pollutant can be anything that gets into a storm system or body of water other than rain. If it is more than you can handle, you are at all in doubt about your ability to clean it up, or you are uncertain about risks it poses to your own safety, do not hesitate to report it. The personal safety of you and your loved ones should always come first.

Someone dumped trash on the side of the road!

We care about cleaning up illegal dump sites, too. If you see garbage dumped somewhere in the county, contact the Litter Crew.


Stay Connected!
Contact Skagit County Surface Water:
(360) 416-1400

Jason Quigley, Stormwater Coordinator:

Clean Water Facebook & YouTube Pages
Did you know Skagit County Clean Water has Facebook and YouTube pages? Follow us to watch our progress and receive updates about water quality news and events!