Treasurer's Office

Global Menu

Treasurer's Office

Treasurer: Jackie Brunson
Things you will find helpful when paying your taxes:

Property taxes are due when billed (mid-February), however there are two final dates by which tax payments must be received - April 30 for first half payments, October 31 for second half. If tax is less than $50.00, the full year must be paid by April 30. For Personal Property, except mobile homes, if first half taxes are not paid by April 30, the full year's tax become delinquent and must be paid in full along with interest on the full amount. (RCW 84.56.020)

Modes of Payment:

  • Mail payment in the remittance envelope provided*
  • Pay in the Treasurer's office
    • Place payment (NO CASH) in drop boxes located at the West end of the horseshoe parking lot and outside the Treasurers Office, 2nd Floor, Administration Building
  • Upriver Satellite Office

*If paying by mail, the envelope in which the payment is mailed must bear a postmark of the US postal service by the due date (RCW 1.12.060).

Delinquent Taxes (Interest and Penalties):

Payments postmarked after April 30 or October 31 will be considered delinquent and will be returned for payment of interest. Taxes will not be processed without interest.

Interest and penalties are set in law in RCW 84.56.020. Interest is assessed at 1% per month (or12% per annum) on the full year's taxes, beginning May 1. If still unpaid on June 1, an additional 3% penalty is assessed. A second penalty of 8% is assessed on December 1 if taxes remain unpaid. Please call the Treasurer's office for the correct amount due if you are mailing after the due date. (360) 416-1750

Requesting Tax Refunds:

Taxpayers who have paid in error, or overpaid their taxes due to a tax adjustment, must make a written request for a refund. Interest on refunds accrues from the date taxes were overpaid and is included in the amount to be refunded, unless refund is made within 60 days of payment.

Senior Citizen Exemption & Deferral Programs:

If you are over 61 years of age and/or disabled, you may be eligible for a senior citizen exemption. There are A, B and C exemptions depending on level of income. If your combined family income is less than $40,000 you may apply for an exemption through the Skagit County Assessor's office at (360) 416-1780. Exemption applies to the primary residence and land on which it sits, up to one acre.

If you do qualify for an exemption and are still having difficulty paying your taxes, you may qualify for a Deferral Program through the State Department of Revenue. Please feel free to contact our office for more information at (360) 416-1750. If approved, your taxes are paid by the Department of Revenue, a lien is placed on the property and the taxes must be paid either when the property is sold, or at the time of death of the property owner.

How we can be reached:

  • Telephone: (360) 416-1750
  • Personal Property (360) 416-1750
  • Water Quality Loans (360) 416-1757
  • Mobile Home Moving Permits (360) 416-1750
  • Excise, Bankruptcy (360)-416-1750
  • Investments (360) 416-1752
  • E-mail:
  • Web Site: